Monday, December 6, 2010

I Know What Day It Is...


"Good. You've finally learned your days of the week."
-Harry Potter

To get the image source, click on it. 

Sorry I just had to throw in that Harry Potter reference, even though it has basically no connection at all to this post (if you were wondering this quote is from a conversation between Dudley and Harry in the second book. And don't hold me to this as a direct quote.). Anyway, the title does. I know what day it is today! It's December 6! Which really only pertains to any of our (if we have them) German readers. 

Other countries probably celebrate something similar to this holiday, but I'm not sure when those dates are or how similar they are at all.  But, let's stick with what I do know: today is St. Nikolaus Tag (St. Nickolaus Day)! Though traditions vary from Northern Germany to Southern Germany, the main idea is the same. On December 5, German children shine and clean their shoes and put them outside the door or window. Which one it is is pretty much dictated by the weather. I mean, if it were snowing, you might want to move your nice and squeaky clean shoes to the window. Then, that night, St. Nikolaus comes around and puts presents in the shoes, but only if you're good. If you're bad, his helper (I forgot his name) brings coal and twigs.

When I was growing up, we would always celebrate this holiday, but with the shoes inside. Sometimes, when I was really young, my parents would put little trails of candy from the window like the bag of presents had broken. It was all tons of fun, and while we don't do that anymore, I still celebrate St. Nikolaus Tag!

I hope you all had a great holiday as well!

-Charlotte 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you guys, so please let us know what you think! All replies will be replied to on your blog. If you don't have/we can't find your blog, responses will be here :)
-Blythe and Charlotte

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...