Thursday, April 28, 2011

Eierbaum

As I showed you guys in my post about my Easter weekend, I made an Eierbaum! That's not the official term for it, but in German you can sometimes make up words for things, so that's what I call it. I also can't remember the official term, but that's another story. Literally, it means "egg tree," which basically describes it perfectly! This is a traditional German Easter decoration, and here is my tutorial explaining how to make one!

037edited

First you want to poke two little holes in the raw eggs, one in the top and one in the bottom. We used a meat thermometer thing, as you can see above. Then blow out eggs. To do this easily, make sure one hole is smaller than the other. 

030edited

Once the eggs have been blown out, wash the egg shells with soapy water and then rinse. 

096

097edited

116edited

Then use water colors to paint the egg shells. 

Break a match into pieces and use the piece without the red thing for the tree. Tie a piece of white thread around the piece of wood. Then put it in the small hole at the top of the egg. If things turned out right, the thread tied to the match can be used to hang the eggs on the tree. 

142edited

This is what my final product looked like! It's a bit different than what a traditional egg tree is supposed to look like. In Germany, the temperature is quite different than it is where I live, so the branches wouldn't have any leaves on them. I prefer the look of the Eierbaum without leaves, but I just did what I could! 

This is one of my favorite German traditions, and I love the whimsical touch it adds to my kitchen! I hope this tutorial was easy to follow, but just let me know if you have any questions!

-Charlotte 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you guys, so please let us know what you think! All replies will be replied to on your blog. If you don't have/we can't find your blog, responses will be here :)
-Blythe and Charlotte

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...